Venue, Timing, Cost
THE COLOUR OF LIGHT: PAINT IT BLACK
Black is the colour of light and not of darkness (H. Matisse). And the quality of the light in painting is pure illusion.
Here, you’ll discover the power of high-impact black watercolour used in not-quite monochrome work, but also as a counterpoint to glorious colour. Both ways can create that illusion of the light in your paintings.
- Can be booked singly or in any combination with other days in this series.
- Identifies one aspect of painting practice as a starting point, with an openness about the end point.
- Begins in the studio, moves outside to work directly from landscape (in the broadest sense) then most people choose to paint back at the studio.
- Is taught in watercolour with mixed media drawing, working directly from varied landscapes at Waterperry Gardens.
- Is suitable for anyone age 19+ (including enthusiastic beginners) able to work from 3D subject matter and happy to experiment. Less experienced artists must be able to carry on drawing or painting without step-by-step guidance or working from a tutor’s example. There’s no house style - we want you to develop your own :-)
Ella has 25 years’ teaching experience of identifying painting issues to focus on and demystifying what artists do. She offers generous input and specific one-to-one feedback for artists who enjoy experimental work and want to progress, whatever your current starting point.
Workshops typically include: short demonstrations of relevant processes, a mix of exercises and independent painting and an encouraging atmosphere, enriched by wider art/visual culture references and individual feedback.