I was born and grew up in Coventry and for almost 30 years I have lived in Thame, both of which are about as far from the coast as you can get. However for me the sea evokes many happy memories:
• as a child on family holidays - mostly in Wales,
• as a student in Lancaster studying the ecology of beaches
• as a wife visiting my in-laws in Par, Cornwall
• as a mother decorating sandcastles on Torquay beach
• as an expat living in Vancouver overlooking English bay
• as an artist trying to capture the colours of the sea and the movement of the waves
Perhaps that is why the sea is one of the subjects I find most inspiring to paint.
The sea has so many moods; dark and brooding swells, violently crashing breakers, and gently lapping waves with so many beautiful colours from cerulean blue through sapphire to emerald green all topped by frothy white surf. I love to try to capture something of that in my artwork.
I started painting after a career in I.T. I studied City and Guilds courses in watercolour for 3 years with Diana Noel, and then painting to diploma level at Amersham college. I have also explored many avenues of creativity at Oxford and Missenden Summer schools from Ceramics to Batik.
I have more recently been introducing stitch and textiles to my work, generally within the subject of natural forms.
I am a member of Sparksrtists and enjoy participating in our group projects and exhibitions.