This is an exciting year with a large group exhibiting at 44, Blandford Avenue in a marquee which will be covid safe, including a one way system. We have a ceramacist, jeweller, two print makers, a textile artist and an excellent animal portrait artist. Two exhibitors are new to art weeks and the rest of us have lots of fresh work and new ideas. All of us are inspired by the natural world but have our own take on it.
Sadly the OCG exhibition in Chipping Norton has been cancelled, I should have been a participant.
In addition there will be a plant sale in aid of Flexicare. This is a local charity offering professional baby sitting to families with disabled children so that parents can get some respite.
We will be open 8th, 9th, 13th 14th 15th and 16th of May when the rule of no more than 6 people outside will apply. Due to the recent government announcement re covid restrictions we have decided to open in addition on the 22nd and 23rd of May when groups of up to thirty can meet outside. It is hoped that this will relieve pressure on the venue. Each day we will be open from 11am to 6pm. There is 2 hours free parking opposite the house.
Making and creating with clay is an ever changing and challenging experience. I work entirely with porcelain, most items are slip cast, a few hand built. Major influences on my work are animals, world travel, the natural environment and the techniques employed by the makers of Staffordshire China. I have a number of different animal figures and this is where Staffordshire China has had a big input,they were the masters of the decorative figurine.
Using a plaster lathe I have also made moulds for various simple plant containers from the small to large. Sometimes these are decorated, other times left plain so that one can enjoy the form without distraction. I often combine coloured slips and carve into the object to reveal a second hue. My sweet pea containers are a good example of this technique.
The Blandford Avenue Marquee, covid policy
As a group of 6 six artists we propose to implement the following precautions against covid for ourselves and guests so that all can feel as secure as possible when visiting.
1) On arrival we will ask visitors to record their name, and phone number for track and trace.
2) We will provide hand disinfectant and request that visitors use it.
3) Artists and visitors are encouraged to wear face masks at all times even though this will be an outside venue.
4) Social distancing would be appreciated unless you are a family group.
5) A one way system will apply.
6) Seats will be available if you need to wait for entry into the marquee. There is a front and back garden so lots of space to spread out in and a rather special garden to wander around in.
7) Visitor numbers will be restricted in accordance with government guidelines applicable at the time.
8) Cash will be accepted but please disinfect your hands again before handling it. We will also have a card reader available.